Are you a student from Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam with zero funds to study in Canadian institutions, the Canada A-SEAN Scholarship could be the help you have been waiting for.
Canada-ASEAN Scholarship program is an educational aspect of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (A-SEAN) put forward by the member states to encourage the education of their students.
The program is operated as Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) problem aimed with the vision of donating funds to students among the member states of the association (ASEAN) and short-term education exchange opportunities to study or research in Canadian institutions for their college, undergraduate, and graduate levels.
With this educational exchange opportunity and scholarship, interested candidates will be able to have a life changes study time in the world’s most respected institutions in Canada
What is ASEAN
ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations), is a Union of 10 states from South-East Asian countries to enhance and share common interests among its member states.
The area of interest is in the field of economics, politics, security, military, education, and sociocultural with the motto of having “One Vision, One Identity, One Community
Origin Of ASEAN
ASEAN, the organization of Southeast Asian countries was created to foster regional concerns in politics, education, and socio-economic stability among the member states.
It was created in 1967 by the Founding Fathers: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand after the signing of the ASEAN Declaration in Bangkok
In the 1990s, the membership got doubled after the region witnessed tremendous changes leading to the end of the Vietnam War in 1975 and the Cold War in 1991.
Following this, on 6 August 2017, the Canadian government declared openly the Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) program. This program was to provide an enabling platform for membership students to carry out short-term study or research in Canadian post-secondary institutions in the field that will lead to the implementation of the 2030 agenda
These scholarships are funded by a registered institution affiliated with the program, postsecondary institutions in Canada, and their partner institutions in ASEAN countries.
Lists of South-East Asian Countries in ASEAN
• the Philippines
Conditions for Canada ASEAN Scholarship
For you to successfully have access to the Canada ASEAN scholarship, the following conditions must be strictly adhered to
• Applicant applications are only submitted by Canadian institutions affiliated with the program
• The scholarship is offered to candidates with a field of study geared toward the sustainable development Agenda of 2030
• Candidates with a genuine interest in helping in poverty alleviation in the region will be considered for the ASEAN scholarship
• The administrator of the ASEAN scholarship will not be held responsible for not giving feedback to unsuccessful applicant
• The scholarship program is directly influenced by the availability of funds for the institutions and the Government.
Eligibility for Canada ASEAN Scholarship
The following are the eligibility requirements candidates intended for the Canada ASEAN scholarship must attend
• It’s strictly for Candidates who are citizens of an ASEAN member state
• Candidates must be enrolled full-time in their post-secondary institution
• Candidates must pay tuition fees regulated by that institution at the time of application and for the full duration of the exchange
• Candidates must apply for a study or work permit ( A work permit is needed for research)
• Candidates’ field of study or research must lead to the actualization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
How to Apply for Canada ASEAN Scholarship
• Candidates must be a students member of ASEAN countries
• Candidates must obtain an online Canada ASEAN scholarship form
• Candidates must inform first their home institution about their intention
• Candidates must submit a letter of intent, detailing how the studies/research in Canada will lead to the realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and combat poverty in the region
• The home institutions will be responsible for selecting candidates with the admission requirements for the Canadian partner institution
• They will also present the candidates’ documents to the Canadian partner institution.
• The Canadian institutions will now be responsible for submitting and applying directly on the candidate’s behalf
• The institution will now upload all the necessary supporting documents before the official deadline
For more information on how to apply, you can check on Apply for Scholarships with Momentum webpage.
Documents for Canada ASEAN Scholarship
In addition, the following documents should be uploaded and attached to the online application form.
1 Candidates must show proof of citizenship by providing:
• Copy of passport
• National identity card with valid dates
• Copy of approval letter from the partner institution
• A driver’s license
• Permanent resident card
• Student card
• Birth certificate
• Proof of full-time enrolment from home institution
• The type of program and the level of study of the candidate at the home institution
• Copy of transcripts
Funding for Canada ASEAN Scholarship
The funding for the Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED) program is done by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development (DFATD).
This department provides funds for the Canadian institution which will in turn redistribute to all the successful candidates applying for the scholarship
The amount for the scholarship varies directly, based on the duration and level of study program candidates choose
For candidates with a study duration of four months or one academic term of study or research for college, undergraduate, or graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.), the amount will be CAD 10,200
Those students applying for a graduate program in master’s or Ph.D. for a duration of five to six months of study or research will receive CAD 12,700 as a scholarship fund
Undergraduate and college students with eight months or two academic courses of study or research programs will get CAD 15,900 for the scholarship
You can check on the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
for more information on international students’ pay.
For more international and national scholarships in Canada, you are safe to surf here for more.