If you are looking for a University with dynamic learning, research with vital impacts, and an amazing academic environment, then come to the University of Victoria Canada
The University of Victoria is one of the best universities in Canada with an extraordinary academic environment that encourages exploration and innovation, which will enhance your university experience
At UVic, you are sure of meeting a diverse set of students, staff, and faculty members who celebrate diversity, foster intercultural connections, and cultivate an inclusive and globally minds
In this post, you are assured of comprehensive information about all that you need to know about the University of Victoria Canada
Brief History of The University of Victoria Canada
The University of Victoria (UVic) is one of Canada’s best public research Universities belonging among the top 2% of institutions in the world.
The University was founded in1903 after it was inaugurated as Victoria College, located in the city of Victoria, the capital of British Columbia.
Victoria University is distinguished for its dynamic learning opportunity and research impact. that has earned the school archive world recognition
The University of Victoria Canada, commonly known as UVic, is specialized in eight areas of research programs, making the school the home of learning.
The research areas are culture and creativity, climate and energy, health and life sciences, data science and cyber-physical systems, ocean science and technology, global studies and social justice, mathematics, and computer science, and indigenous research.
Additionally, Victoria University is partnering with government, industries, and research organizations for research and development initiatives.
Scope of Study Programs at the University of Victoria Canada
Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
The University of Victoria offers a variety of undergraduate degrees, certificates, and diplomas for students of any nationality straight from high school or transferring from other post-secondary institutions.
Also, the UVic has in numbers over 3,500 students studying in any of the 160 graduate programs available on the campus.
Environmental Capability of University of Victoria Canada
The University of Victoria is sitting across a 402-acre of land, making the main campus of the University one of the largest in North America.
The school’s main campus is equipped with modern world-class infrastructures for effective learning with highly-qualified faculty members and staff.
The modern infrastructure has made the University known as a place for dynamic learning system with components such as advanced laboratories, art studios, libraries, and computer labs
Facts & figures about the University of Victoria Canada
1. 22,020 students (undergraduate and graduate)
2. 5,000 employees, including 900 full-time faculty members
3. 580+ patents filed to date
4. 1,145+ invention disclosures to date
5. 169 start-up companies to date
6. #1 among Canadian comprehensive universities for preparing career-ready students (2019 Times Higher Education Global University Employability Ranking)
7. Consistently the top university in North America for international research collaboration (Leiden, 2011-19)
Scholarships at the University of Victoria Canada
Being one of the renounced Universities in Canada, the University of Victoria is known for offering numerous scholarships to national and international candidates with outstanding academic achievement
The scholarships programs at the University of Victoria are available for both undergraduate and postgraduate program
The total number of candidates offered scholarships in the UVic varies between 2,250 and 7,500 every academic year and
Every year, the University of Victoria provides 8 million CAD for scholarships and 4 million CAD annually in form of bursaries for students who are in financial need
Requirements for the University of Victoria Canada scholarships
Below are some of the general requirements and eligibilities details for the University of Victoria scholarships:
• Every International student must have a Canadian study permit to study at the University
• The Undergraduate scholarships in the University are earned through the admission applications.
• Every Eligible undergraduate and post-graduate student should have an excellent academic position in the previous qualifications.
The University of Victoria Scholarships for Bachelor Programs
The University of Victoria offers scholarships to exceptional academic international undergraduate students at an amount ranging from 3,000 CAD to 10,000 CAD.
The available scholarship by the University of Victoria each year varies, depending on available funding.
The Eligibilities and requirements for undergraduate scholarship vary depending on different awards.
So, interested candidates should kindly read the details of each award before applying
Eligibilities for Undergraduate Scholarships
• Every International student must send in an interim transcript or a final transcript by March.
• Qualified candidates are automatically referred to Student Awards & Financial Aid by Undergraduate Admissions.
• Undergraduate applicants must maintain registration in a minimum of 4.5 units for credit in each term.
3.0 units for students with a permanent disability for which they have been awarded the scholarship.
University of Victoria Scholarships for Postgraduate
For those interested in Masters’s and Doctoral programs, the University of Victoria has a reasonable number of scholarships and awards.
The University of Victoria scholarships for Postgraduate students are awarded on the ground of nominations from eligible academic units.
Also, Some of the scholarships require an application while some do not require any separate application.
The scholarship that does not require application is offered to students who have demonstrated the following attribute:
• Exceptional academic achievement
• Leadership skills
• Community presence
• Long-term goals
University of Victoria External Awards & Scholarships
Beyond the above scholarships mentioned by the University of Victoria, there are other external scholarships for international students.
The scholarship is awarded by the national and provincial granting agencies to fund graduate students and their research.
The scholarship is a merit-based fellowship that must be applied for individually and earned based on students’ exceptional performance in school.
How to gain admission to the University of Victoria Canada
Being considered one of the highly successful academic institutions in Canada, the University of Victoria offers admissions to a plethora of undergraduate and graduate courses through the experienced process
Being named among the best higher education institutes in Canada the school has maintained its standard procedure for admission and below are the steps to follow:
• The Undergraduate admissions to the University of Victoria are given around September of every year
• The university observes a moderately selective admission process but this shall not be mistaken for it to be a cakewalk.
• Admission depends on factors such as submitting a score minimum of 80 in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS is a part of standardized tests in Canada.
For more information about the admission processes, just click here
Also, you can click here for Admission Portal: Apply online at the official website.
University of Victoria Admission Deadlines
The University of Victor offers admission on an already fixed date in the year.
The University generally opens for applications in September Entry; Though, it also offers admission to degree programs in January and Summer semesters.
The University of Victoria Ranking by Times Higher Education
The ranking of the University of Victoria is done by various World ranking agencies, but for the sake of this article, we will follow the report from Times Higher Education.
According to Times Higher Education, the University of Victoria attracts more than 4000 international students from more than 100 countries making its International Outlook scores 87.8
Additionally, UVic is Canadian Comprehensive University to delivers career-ready students and produced a very high global employability of students
Faculty at the University of Victoria Canada
The following are the numbers of faculty present at the University of Victoria:
- Engineering and Computer Science
- Fine Arts
- Human and Social Development
- Medical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Programs at the University of Victoria Canada
The University of Victoria programs are among the top 300 institutions in the world for academic teaching excellence and research output for 11 particular topics
The 11 topics are:
• Earth and marine sciences
• English language and literature
• Environmental sciences
• Physics and astronomy
Also, the following programs are as well offered at the University of Victoria if your choice of program is not among the above-listed programs
- Art History and Visual Studies
- Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Child and Youth Care
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education
- Germanic and Slavic Studies
- Greek and Roman Studies
- Health Information Science
- Indigenous Education
- Indigenous Governance
- Industrial Ecology
- Interdisciplinary programs
- Mechanical Engineering
- Pacific and Asian Studies
- Physics and Astronomy
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health and Social Policy
- Social Dimensions of Health
- Social Work
- Visual Arts
Area of interest at the University of Victoria Canada
The following are the available area of interest at the University of Victoria
- Education and Family
- Engineering, Math, and Technology
- Environment and Sustainability
- Fine Arts and Digital Media
- Health and Life Sciences
- Indigenous focus
- Languages and Global Cultures
- People and Society
- Physical Sciences
For any questions about the application process or studying at UVic, get in touch with your UVic graduate student recruiter.